Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Recap of last couple weeks not all that eventful...

I know it's been awhile since my last post it's not because I forgot I just really don't have much to talk about sorry folks! So I have been going to class not much excitement has happened. So I tried fried cheese for the first time it's a traditional dish here. It is interesting, kinda like a mozzarella stick, but different it's more like a block of cheese that is fried and it was served with a sauce that's kinda like tartar sauce, but different. It would have tasted better as a sandwich or something, but it was strange by itself. With my history class we went to a museum where we saw the original Astronomical Clock and this virtual tour of Prague. Since we are a big class we went in groups we colored while we waited. See look what I did in school, my mom will be so proud :]


I was also asked for the first time since I have been here to show my transportation pass, 6 weeks not bad, but the dude just comes up to you shows the badge to your face and says something in Czech-I haven't a clue so I just handed him my pass, he gave it back and then he walked away. I went to Bohemia Bagels, which by the way there are no bagels in Prague except there, but I order a parmesan/oregano bagel with veggie cream cheese and tomato soup the bagel was ok but the soup was AMAZING I am definitely going there again. Everything on there menu sounded so good I am going to have to go there and try everything even though it's a tad pricey, but I think it's worth it!! All my roommates had friends and family over that week/weekend so we had a big apartment style dinner on that Friday. We cooked chicken fajitas SO GOOD!!




I didn't do much that weekend at all to be honest. I went over to K17 one night and hung out there, then we left for Cross Club no one wanted to pay to go into the club part so we sat up stairs in the bar part for maybe 30 min then left 2/3 went home 1/3 went to this other club Chapeau Roughe which is free to get in. I tagged along since it was closer to my building anyway, so we were there for maybe 20-30 minutes then they all decided to call it a night and so I went home. I didn't get much sleep on Sunday night because my roommates friend was sleeping there and had to get up early like 3:30am for her plane and I woke up and could go back to bed and I had class at 12 that day too. Tuesday was Mardi Gras which is pretty widely celebrated that day there was tons set up down town. It was also National Women's Day. Also was Mezza's birthday so celebrated that as well. On Wednesday, I was walking home from class minding my own business not doing anything out of the ordinary. A mom from a family walks up to me and asked me, "Do you speak English?" I replied, "Yes, I do" then she proceeded to ask me "Where is the nearest McDonalds?" REALLY?? I was nice and gave her directions (I was surprised I actually knew since I hate that place), but I apparently I look really American and don't blend in. Thursday I went to class and that was about it. Friday morning, we had Anezska(where we live) Breakfast and Valerie cook french toast for breakfast for us!!! It was super yummy! On Friday a group of students from the University of the Pacific were on a music tour in Prague. So I decided to go with my roommate Valerie. The concert was classical music. I am not a huge fan of classical it was all acoustical and no singing. There was two guys who sang a cappella in Czech, so I didn't know a word they were saying, but had amazing voices. The concert was about an hour long. I actually started drifting asleep at one point, I felt horrible but classical isn't my thing. Then we went to get dinner at this pizza place in Lesser Town. It was kinda pricey, but it was good. It was about 130 crowns which is $7-$8 which sounds really cheap, but you can find the same quality pizza for the under 100 crowns (~$5). The restaurant we sat at had the coolest decorations though. Here are some photos:



I was pretty lazy that weekend and didn't really leave my apartment. I did however get breakfast at Bohemia Bagels I ordered what I did last time except I got minestrone soup which was very good too but I think I liked the tomato one a little more. This girl brought her dog to the restaurant it was the tiniest, but cutest thing ever. I wanted to steal it and bring it home it was seriously maybe a foot tall on it's hind legs. Monday I went to class went grocery shopping since I didn't have food. On Tuesday, our art and architecture class went to St. Nicholas Church in the Lesser Quarter. It is a typical baroque style building very pretty. Then I found out that the marble isn't real marble the statues aren't made of stone but rather they are wood painted with chalk coating. I was a little less impressed, but the fresco on the ceiling were so cool you can't tell where the architecture ends and the painting begins. Here are some photos:


ceiling art and wall architecture blend (can't tell where one begins and the other ends)





dome




fresco on ceiling


Then after that class I have my history class. We had our midterm test. I hope that I did ok! Then we went to the Jewish Quarter. We went into the Pinkas Synagogue,  Old-New Synagogue and the Jewish Cemetery. In the Pinkas Synagogue names of all the Holocaust victims, together with their dates of birth and death, are inscribed on the walls. The names have been written three times do to flooding. Upstairs was pictures and drawings saved from the times they were in the ghettos. No photos in either were allowed. Then we went into the Old-New Synagogue which is still a functioning synagogue. Again no photos inside. Then we went to the cemetery which holds thousands of people. They didn't have enough room so they would add soil on top and bury more people, they did this 12 TIMES. I still have to go to the Jerusalem Synagogue and the Spanish Synagogue. Here are some photos:

tombs

Rocks and coins are left as a remembrance of those who passed

People often write prayers and wishes and leave them at the tombs

After that I went home made some dinner then I went to go see a movie with my Gender Studies class. It was a documentary called Dish: Women, Waitressing and the Art of Serving. It was a really interesting I really enjoyed it a lot. It was English which was great. It talked about how in different countries the role of waitressing is different. That in America/Canada it is usually a female profession and that women take on the role of serving people more naturally and it's expected. Where as in France men work as waitress in high end restaurants and it's very uncommon for women to be in that field. And that in Japan there are places where the women literally dress as maids and serve you. Also, it talked about the use of sex appeal to attract tips like at Hooters. It was really good about an hour long if you can find it I would watch it. Today, is Wednesday I don't have class not doing much. I am getting all my stuff planned and organized for spring break. I am going to Greece. My plane leaves on Friday and I will be there till Sunday the 27th.  I am sure I will have lots to blog about my stay in Greece that is all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment